No milk for me, please
kid could have, I never dreamed I would have one allergic to milk. Drew, and others, call me a milk-a-holic. I drink at least 3 glasses a day, usually closer 5. I long for it when we go camping or on trips. So imagine my surprise to learn that my son is allergic to milk. I had given him a few bites of yogurt with his meals or a little cottage cheese, and I wasn't cuing into him scratching his neck and his face getting red. I thought it was just itchy from the way he eats (see the sample of this below), or that it was just a topical effect. Then one day I popped a piece of grated cheddar, about the size of my pinky fingernail, into his mouth while I making lunch, and a minute later looked at him, and sure enough his chin and neck were all red and he was scratching. So he is allergic to dairy. Even to crackers in which cheese is one of the ingredients. The doctor said it isn't necessary to clinically test his sensitivity at this age, just don't give him dairy. Hopefully he will outgrow this, as I am not sure how to cook without milk, cheese, cream, butter...but for now we are trying out things like tofu cream cheese. I am not sure what we will give him once he is weaned, I am hesitant to give him soymilk. If anyone out there has an experience with milk allergies in little ones, I would love some advice.
But for now, he can just enjoy the heck out of his tofu cream cheese, when he isn't hiding under his high chair.

But for now, he can just enjoy the heck out of his tofu cream cheese, when he isn't hiding under his high chair.


3 Comments:
At 7:52 AM,
Anonymous said…
Heaven forbid he not be able to intake dairy! I mean, if that was me, I would drown myself in the nearest river right now :)
At 10:48 AM,
Anonymous said…
He looks like he is really enjoying at least playing with the tofu cream cheese:-)
At 10:59 AM,
Anonymous said…
I just have to say that Andrew looks more and more like his mommy (not that I'm commenting on how Erin eats lunch at work...)
Post a Comment
<< Home